Today I wanted to share with you some photos (well okay a lot of photos) from a special Exploding Box birthday card that I made my nephew for his 10th birthday this weekend. Now in case you didn’t pick it, he is a bit of a Dr Who fan so just knew I had to ensure that I did my research for this project and have all the ‘details’ just right.
This included making sure I had the right ‘signs and symbols’ for the right era of tardis … yes there is more than one tardis depending on the timeframe of the show! Thank goodness for ‘Google’ to keep me on track!
The top of the tardis lifts of to reveal a folded inside with loads of panels and pockets.
I think this does prove that ‘it is bigger on the inside’!
So with the lid off the tardis ‘explodes’ open to reveal it’s contents and I decided to put in a whole bunch of classic Dr Who quotes for him to enjoy … again “thank you Google!”.
I have laid it flat to you can better see the quotes which were all typed by my lovely daughter so that they would fit the 4″ x 4″ side panels as well as a few smaller quotes for the folded corners.
Each pocket held a tag which we all got to write our individual message on for the birthday boy.
Now I did say there were a lot of photos and I couldn’t help but finish on a photo of the back of the box to prove I did decorate all four sides of the box LOL!
I don’t have a tutorial for this as I made it in under 2hrs with a party deadline looming so didn’t have time to photograph and write details but I do have some tips to share:
- Basic box is from 12″ x 12″ cardstock, scored at 4″ on all four sides
- Fold along the lines and create diagonal folds for each of the corners
- Side panels for the tardis are four pieces cut at 4″ x 6″
- Adhere the side panels for the tardis to the 4″ x 4″ side of the box along the base and two sides so that you create four internal pockets
- The ‘doors’ for the tardis are 8 pieces cut a 5-1/4″ x 1-1/2″
- To cut the windows in the doors I used the smallest of the Square Collections framelits – lined up the edge of the framelit on end of the panel cut a square, move the framelit so the edge lined up with the inside of the previous cut square .. continue till all for windows are cut out
- Use ink to slightly darken the side panels to add the cut out door panels on top
- Vellum is adhere to back side of door panel
- Top of tardis is made from 5-1/2″ square, scored at 3/4″ on each side
- A second piece at 5″ square, scored at 1/2″ and 1″ on all side is adhere on top again
- Light is two small Vintage Designer Buttons
- Light cover is 1/2″ circle made into a slight cone.
Not great instructions but all I have so hope it helps a little.
Click on the items below to purchase from my store